Beowulf, now 13 months old, at his new home

Until the day we closed on the sale, I had never actually seen Bebbanburg in person. For two months after we made our offer, I viewed it in my mind through the photos and descriptions provided by Brian and the various inspectors.

I have an iPad surgically attached to my right arm, and I found an app for it called Quick Plan 3D, for about $10, which is amazing for what it can do. I’ll be the first to admit it is not state of the art and could use some upgrading, but it gave me the ability to create a floor plan and rough measurements for the house, which I continually refined as I got more information.

On the day of closing, I entered Bebbanburg and was accosted at once by a smell vaguely reminiscent of the bottom of a dead pig’s foot. Musty, mildewy; decayed, abandoned. It was especially awful in the garage and basement, so bad I was sure it was the Black Death.  We knew then we were going to go through a whole lot of Kilz!

We spent time on the deck enjoying the view and getting acquainted with the surroundings. And we took better measurements, which I transferred to my Quick Plan drawing.  Here is the house plan for the main floor, generated from that app, followed by the 3D rendering:



What I kindly refer to as the Office/Workplace in the plan is that which we normally refer to as the Control Room.  In the 3D rendering you can see it plainly, and you can see that it eats up a lot of space that should belong to the great room.

Also, you can see there is no real dining space.  There’s the islandy sort of thing with a sink placed at an odd location, and there is a little bit of space in/around the kitchen, but no place to put a dining table and chairs and china hutch and sideboard so that you can invite the entire village over for Thanksgiving.

Let’s refresh our memory on what the kitchen and control room looked like in real life:


Now let’s see what it looked like when I arrived earlier this month:


A bit different, you might say.  This of course means I have no kitchen, so here is my solution.  (Note that this coffee maker, at the tender age of 15, has since given up the ghost.  RIP).

tempKitchen copy

I was hoping that the renovations to these two areas would be further along, but the original builders seemed to make a lot of stuff up as they went along, including using less than adequate support “beams” in a couple of key areas, which meant that John the contractor had to deal with that first.

Here’s the plan for the renovation that I came up with, incorporating Brian’s input, on Quick Plan– note that I harbor deep loathing for posts, but in order to provide the structural support necessary to keep the house from falling down (always a good thing) I had to accept the fact that there will be two posts in the great room.


After a couple of weeks of work, the kitchen lighting cans have been installed and the electrical circuits are being wired or rewired.


We removed the sliding door in the former kitchen to replace it with a single door with a full glass pane.  Despite the fact that we carefully specified that it was to open out (onto the screened porch) and to the left, they sent us one that opens in and to the right.  Rather than enjoy the hassle of returning it and finding the correct model, we are going to build a new frame for this one.


We ordered our kitchen cabinets and appliances from IKEA when they had their 20% off kitchen sale earlier this year.  The order consists of 93 boxes!  They were scheduled to deliver these on Wednesday, two days ago.  The driver (not an IKEA employee, but with a delivery company they contract out to), drove right past Hendersonville and nearly to South Carolina before calling.  Then he and his company said they couldn’t deliver because his time had been used up, so they would have to try again in 2 weeks.  He also said he only had 3 boxes.

Well, this was unacceptable.  First of all, it was supposed to be 93 boxes, and secondly, it was poor customer service.  Brian called his secret contact at the Charlotte IKEA and she resolved the matter by requesting that the company deliver next Wednesday, not 2 weeks later, and reminded them that there were 2 orders– 3 of the boxes were on one and 90 on the other.  (Don’t ask me why).

It’s a good thing we found this in the pod that day!


Next time I’ll show you the nearly complete office.

Remember that I was pulling staples in the boys’ room last post?  I returned to that and happened to glance out the window, to find that the magnolia tree (which we learned marks the location of the septic tank!) was beginning to bloom.